This research focusses on improving and extending perfSONAR, the infrastructure for network performance monitoring. The purpose is to make it easier to solve end-to-end performance problems on paths crossing several networks. perfSONAR delivers a set of services that offer performance measurements in a federated environment.
The main monitoring research areas
- Advanced Monitoring Solutions, such as of new traffic flow monitoring techniques and machine learning algorithms extending perfSONAR
- Circuit Monitoring – The integration of dynamic circuit provisioning and perfSONAR
- Network Events Management by perfSONAR
- Cross-Layer Network Monitoring in the Multi-domain Environment: Topology definitions embracing horizontal and vertical network view to allow for cross –layer monitoring complementing by monitoring of layers below IP.
- Monitoring-based Service Level Agreement Management in the multi-domain Environment
- Standardised access to the measurement tools and network monitoring data (OGF NM-WG and OGF NMC-WG).
- OAM Ethernet monitoring utilities, multi-domain aspects and perfSONAR integration
- An alternative implementation of perfSONAR based on the NETCONF protocol
- Advanced network traffic analysis based on flows
- A proposal (specification document) describing in details how to monitor dynamic circuits created by the AutoBAHN system:
AutoBAHN and perfSONAR Integration – Circuit Monitoring”, version 1.0, 2011 - Paper
- A proposal (specification document) describing in details how to manage network traffic events with the help of perfSONAR:
Network performance event management based upon the perfSONAR framework”, TNC2011, Prague - Slides
- An implementation of an alternative perfSONAR system based on the NETCONF protocol (instead of OGF NM/NMC):
perfSONAR NC – a NETCONF based perfSONAR implementation, TNC 2011, Prague - slides
perfSONAR NC – a NETCONF based perfSONAR implementation - Paper
- An implementation of Qflow – a perfSONAR component for making Quality of Service (QoS) oriented measurements using flows
- An implementation of JTraceroute - an advanced traceroute tool that helps to identify performance problems caused by misconfiguration, faulty components, or exceeding link or node capacity at some speciﬁc point in a network path.
- Contributions to OGF NML – updates and improvements of a new new topology description standard:
Enhancing E2Emon monitoring with NML topology exchange, TNC 2011, Prague - Slides
Enhancing E2Emon monitoring with NML topology exchange - Paper
- Contributions to OGF NM and OGF NMC – updates and improvements of perfSONAR topology description and communication protocol
- Study on OAM - Ethernet monitoring:
Ethernet Operations, Administration and Maintenance – Opportunities for the NREN community, TNC 2011, Prague - Paper
Ethernet Operations, Administration and Maintenance - TNC slides
- Study on advanced network traffic classification:
Report on advanced traffic classification for network streams in GÉANT3 JRA2-T3; a proposal of using REST in perfSONAR - Paper